Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Moving On?

It's tough to admit now, but I voted for John Edwards in the 2008 primary. In 2004 I found him a bit annoying -- too canned, too much of a pretty boy -- but by 2008 I found myself drawn to his populist style. I had convinced myself that he was not another Bill Clinton, despite the similarities. You see, I was never a big Clinton fan, despite my liberal political leanings. I don't trust philandering political types. I know from personal experience, they can lie to your face and you believe every word. By the time you realize that you've been deceived you just end up feeling empty and stupid.

I was just beginning to recover from my John Edwards mistake -- a new administration, a feeling of hope for the future -- when Elizabeth Edwards resurfaced with her Oprah interview. It's been downright painful to watch. What on Earth are they thinking? By "they", I mean John and Elizabeth Edwards and those closest to them. Hasn't the woman suffered enough? Does she have to add public humiliation to her fight with cancer? All to sell books?! I don't want to understand how the entire affair/lying to their constituents episode transpired. I want to move on and so should the Edwards family.

To Elizabeth Edwards: I know you're a strong woman, but let this rest. Take whatever time you have left and enjoy that time with your children, not on talk shows reliving the details of your husband's affair. Your husband betrayed you and you need not be subjected to further humiliation because of his bad behavior.

To John Edwards: Shame on you. For lying those worked tirelessly and devoted their time and money to your campaign. For dragging your family through a campaign that was bound to end badly at a time when they needed you present. AND, finally, for not keeping it in your pants. Yes, affairs are painful and yes, they they humiliating when a spouse has to deal with them in the public arena.

It's time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment